Why It’s Important To Let People Know Your Change of Address

Let People Know Your Change of Address

We all know that moving house can be an exciting time. There is always so much to do, and seemingly so little time to do it in! Amidst all of the frantic activity, however, there is one important detail that can sometimes be overlooked, and that is to notify people of your change of address.

If KDD Conveyancing has undertaken the property settlement in Perth on your behalf, we will have taken care of some of this for you, namely getting in touch with Water Corporation WA, the local council regarding rates, and the strata company (if applicable). Nevertheless, this still leaves a lot of different people and organisations who need to be informed that you will soon change your address.

This is important because not letting people know when you change mailing address can cause some unnecessary headaches down the track. You could be charged fees for not paying a bill on time, or miss an invitation to an event, for instance — or perhaps more importantly, leave yourself open to identity theft.

To help make the final arrangements for moving a little smoother, below are some of the businesses and organisations to whom you should send an update address notification.


Even if you use a PO Box that you intend to retain, you should still request that Australia Post change mailing address records they have for you. The AusPost change address service is available for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months and when you register, any post that is sent to your old address will automatically be delivered to your new one. It is a good idea to set this up at least a week prior to settlement.

It is also important to let utility providers know that you are about to change your address. These will include your electricity provider (Synergy in the Perth metro area), as well as gas, phone and internet (as part of our residential settlements service, we will inform Water Corporation WA). If you are connecting to the NBN for the first time in your new property, you will need to pay a one-off fee. You should aim to do all of this between five and ten days before property settlements are completed.

National Broadband Network (NBN) Logo Vector - (.SVG + .PNG ...

You will also need to inform your financial institutions of your change of address moving house date, and the details for your new home. This will include your bank, credit card and loan companies, insurance providers and super fund(s). It is important they receive this information in good time so that any mail containing private personal and financial information is not sent to your old address, or goes unclaimed, as this is one of the most common ways identity theft and fraud occur. Your employer or HR department will also likely want you to complete a change of address form.

There are also a number of government agencies that will need to know your change of address (many of these will have an update address function available online). The ATO and the Electoral Commission will need to be notified, as will Centrelink and Medicare. It is also important to let the Department of Transport know your new details with regard to your driver’s licence and car registration.

Another group of people who will naturally want to know that you’re moving is family and friends! Add to this any sporting or professional organisations you belong to, your GP, vet and other health professionals, plus your school or university, and you can see how quickly the list builds up.


To make the entire process easier for you, we have compiled a moving checklist to help you cover all the bases. If possible, you should aim to notify all of the relevant people and organisations listed below before you make the big move.

KDD Conveyancing Change of Address Checklist


As part of our range of property conveyancing in Perth and residential settlements services, KDD Conveyancing will notify Water Corporation WA that you are moving to a new address and give them the appropriate details. We will likewise advise the local council covering the area to which you are moving (for the collection of rates), as well as the strata company (if that is appropriate).

If have any other questions about a change of address or moving house, please don’t hesitate tp get in touch and one of highly experienced team will be happy to help. You can call us on (08) 9296 8717 or email us.